Do you worry about the chilly air coming in through your windows? Plantation shutters are a good way to keep your home comfy. They provide both energy efficiency and insulation that can help keep your home warmer.
Not to mention, they're a stunning, timeless window treatment! These days, plantation shutters are available in all shapes, sizes and colors so it's easy to find something that fits your style. Let's discuss how plantation shutters can make winter less unpleasant.
How Plantation Shutters Keep Your Home Cozy
Having the right window treatment can make a big difference in your comfort and energy bills.
Out of all the areas in your home, your windows are responsible for leaking the most heat during the winter. Single-pane windows with an aluminum frame lose the most energy. While double-pane windows with a wood or vinyl frame are an improvement, they can still make your home feel chilly.
Here’s how plantation shutters can help block heat loss during cold weather.
- They’re made from thick materials with a high R-value. This measurement determines how well insulation keeps heat from leaving or entering your home. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, wood shutters have an R-value of 3-4. That’s more than two times greater than blinds and nearly two times higher than shades. Polymer shutters rank at 6 or better, making them one of the most energy-efficient window treatments. Since they’re so energy efficient, you may notice your home feels comfier at a lower temperature.
- They fit tightly against your windows, creating an additional barrier. The way plantation shutters fit windows contributes to their high R-value. The highest quality ones are customized for your home to provide peak energy efficiency and comfort. Other window coverings, like curtains, blinds and shades, don’t offer as secure of a fit.
- They accommodate unique windows. Some window shapes, like arches, circles and bay, are more difficult to cover. Because of this, their energy efficiency can be affected. But this isn’t the case with custom shutters, since they can be made to fit just about any window.
Other Ways to Make Your Home More Energy Efficient in Winter
Having the right window treatment goes a long way in keeping your home cozy and heating bills down. Here are a few other tips for saving energy this winter:
- Maximize natural warmth. Make the most of the sun’s heat by keeping south-facing window treatments open during the day and closed at nighttime.
- Keep your thermostat at the right temperature. The Department of Energy recommends 68 degrees during daytime. When you’re away or sleeping, you can set your thermostat between 64-65 degrees. You can get rid of some of the guesswork and extra work by installing a smart thermostat. This device finds out your temperature preferences and schedule, and then creates energy-efficient programming to match.
- Set ceiling fans to reverse. Warm air accumulates near the ceiling but running your ceiling fan in reverse can redistribute that warmth.
- Replace your air filter regularly. A dirty air filter can cause your HVAC system to work harder and consume more energy. Flat filters should be changed monthly, while pleated filters can last for up to three months. A good guideline is to replace yours whenever you can’t see light through it.
- Request a home energy audit. Many utility companies offer this service for free and will give you ideas on how you can improve your home’s energy efficiency. Some of these ideas may include adding LED bulbs, sealing leaks and checking insulation.
- Add more attic insulation. Most homes don’t have adequate attic insulation, which helps regulate indoor temperatures and reduce heat loss. Southern climates should have 13”–14”, while northern climates should have 16”–18”.
Keep Your Home Comfortable with Shutters from Louver Shop of Ft. Lauderdale
Plantation shutters aren’t just a smart choice for frigid weather. They can also keep you more comfortable during the summer and decrease your air conditioning bills. At Louver Shop of Ft. Lauderdale, we’ve been specializing in making homes like yours gorgeous and energy efficient since [[year]]. To learn more about how plantation shutters can keep you comfortable, call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule a free, in-home consultation.